Sunday 13 May 2012

how to approach an agent


Here are a few pointers what TO DO AND WHAT NOT TO DO when approaching an Agent or Rep.
  1. Never send an email that is address to: To whom it may concern. Make sure you know the agency you are approaching. Do some homework and find out all you can about them and get the name of the person in charge or who is responsible for looking at work.
  2. Try not to email to a list of people at a time, putting all their emails as cc. That is what the bcc is for and I hate to see the list of people at the top who have all received the same email.
  3. Also, whenever I get emails that is address to: Dear Sir/Madame I usually just throw it in the trash.
  4. I would suggest that you try to be brief and to the point. No point going on and on.
  5. Don’t send too many high rez images at once. I prefer low rez myself.
  6. Try and refrain from sending several emails in a row with many different images. This just annoys us and usually ends up in the trash as well.
  7. Try not to ask for advice when what you really want is to be represented. I get so many emails asking me for my advice then asking me if I would take them on. We reps are usually very busy or at least we should be trying to get work for the artist that we already represent.
  8. If you have questions about the industry then I suggest you spend some good quality time researching these questions on the web. There are so many great websites out there with so much information for illustrators just starting out. Another great thing to do would be to join an association in your country. They are great place to get advice and are filled with several knowledgeable professionals.
  9. If you are lucky enough to get in with a good Agent or Rep, I suggest that you treat this relationship like any other important relationship in your life. The more you put in the more you will get out. Also always keep the lines of communication open. Respect and loyalty in my mind is the key.

No comments:

Post a Comment